Vocational education teachers are responsible for helping students develop a specific set of skills by creating lesson plans, assignments and exams. They are responsible for helping students learn how to apply their knowledge safely, monitoring their progress and using effective communication skills discussing that progress with them, their parents and their education counselors.
As you write your vocational education teacher job description, remember to highlight the most important skills required for the job. Organizational skills are important for ensuring students receive feedback on their assignments and exams in a timely fashion as well as for maintaining conference schedules.
Because students often have differing abilities, vocational education teachers must be creative, resourceful and patient enough to design and implement new methods for helping students retain information. Use the information below to help you write your own standout vocational education teacher job description.
Vocational Education Teacher Job Summary
We are seeking talented individuals who want to help shape young minds and teach them the skills they need to be successful. As a vocational education teacher, you have the opportunity to use your expertise to create hands-on lesson plans that keep students active and engaged in the classroom. By teaching them your trade using creative learning strategies and compassionate communication, you can instill knowledge, confidence and a sense of accomplishment in the young leaders of tomorrow. As a guiding hand for our students, you will be an integral part of providing constructive feedback and assuring our students leave the classroom ready to provide for themselves as well as for their community and the world.
- Design hands-on lesson plans that allow for students to learn how to use the tools, equipment, technology and techniques necessary to perform the tasks required of the job
- Develop teaching aids to accompany hands-on work by creating visual aids, providing homework assignments, developing study guides and providing lists of resources such as apps or educational websites
- Create and administer oral, written or performance exams that allow you to evaluate the effectiveness of your lesson plans and the progress of your students to determine which information needs further teaching
- Meet with students, parents, other teachers and guidance counselors to discuss students’ progress, address concerns, answer questions, provide constructive feedback and determine how students can further benefit from your classes in the future
- Prepare and maintain student records to include attendance records, grades, behavioral reports, current courses, plans for their careers and contact information for them and their parents
- Advise students on career decisions, including providing guidance and suggestions regarding future coursework, possible specializations and other career-related topics
- Attend training sessions, conferences and seminars to further your own education regarding technological and procedural changes in your field so that you can provide the information to your students
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and teaching certification required
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in Blackboard Learn
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Organizational skills and time management skills necessary
- Master’s degree a plus
Writing an excellent vocational education teacher job description is the first step toward finding excellent educators to fill your position. However, you must ensure you submit your job posting to the right places so that these educators will see them and contact you.
When posting your job description, think outside of traditional job boards. Post on job boards specifically created for educators and share the posting on the school’s social media pages. The school website should also have a career page that details which positions are open. Of course, the hundreds of job boards available shouldn’t be skipped. You can use MightyRecruiter to help you post hundreds of free job postings at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter