Waiters perform a variety of tasks that ensure that a restaurant provides good customer service and meals to customers. They deliver food, ring up checks, clear tables and generally make sure that customers have a good experience with both the food and the atmosphere.
In the skills section of your waiter job description, you’ll want to highlight that your ideal candidate is friendly, a quick problem solver and someone who can handle a little bit of manual labor while carrying trays around and serving drinks and food.
Waiters should be polite, helpful and friendly. They should be very efficient and have good stamina, excellent communication skills and a good memory. Waiters should be diplomatic and patient when dealing with complaints and issues that arise. Use the example below to get a better idea of what to include in your own waiter job description.
Waiter Job Summary
As a waiter at our neighborhood restaurant, you’ll be an integral part of a small, committed team that prides itself on delivering standout experiences to customers. Beyond just taking orders and interacting with guests and chefs, you’ll get the opportunity to set the tone and atmosphere on the floor (think selecting the playlist of the evening, designing the specials board, and keeping your area in tip-top shape). This is a great role for any food lover who wants to put their strong communication skills and positive attitude to work at a restaurant that truly believes that good food is key to a good mood.
- Greet customers as they are seated at their tables and help them choose a meal that they will enjoy
- Take orders from customers for drinks, food and dessert and relay those orders to the kitchen staff to ensure that they are created correctly
- Memorize and present daily specials to customers to help sell new menu items or seasonal specialties
- Fill in for the host or hostess on busy nights, greet customers and lead them to their tables, provide them with menus and make sure they have silverware and napkins
- Know the ingredients of the meals on the menu and how they are cooked, and use descriptive words to encourage customers to order them
- Remove used plates, cups, silverware and trash from the table after the customer leaves and prepare the table for the next customer
- Clean the restaurant after customers are gone, vacuuming, mopping, sweeping, taking out the trash and checking bathrooms
- Stock waiter service area with supplies such as tableware, linens and coffee
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must be 21 years or over to serve alcohol to customers
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be able to life 20 pounds on a regular basis
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous experience as a waiter
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Experience with POS terminals and credit card processing machines
Even the best waiter job description isn’t effective if it isn’t posted in the right places. Writing the description is the first part of attracting candidates that are ideal for the job. Applicants look in many different places to find jobs. When posting a job description, utilize your company’s website, your social media accounts and referral emails from your current employees. If you want to find the right candidate, you must be accessible to them and easy for them to locate.
Online job boards are one of the biggest assets when it comes to recruiting and hiring top talent. Let MightyRecruiter help you start the process off right with no-cost job postings to hundreds of online job boards at the same time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter