Wastewater treatment plant operators perform a wide variety of tasks to ensure wastewater is safely converted into a form that can either be reintroduced into the water cycle or disposed of. These professionals typically use a complex system of machinery and control boards to operate, maintain, troubleshoot and monitor wastewater treatment plants and their associated processes.
The skills section of your wastewater treatment plant operator job description should list several crucial requirements for your ideal candidate. They should possess excellent analytical, math and mechanical skills. Additionally, your candidate must also have a detail-oriented focus.
These qualities are necessary to operate, maintain and repair the complicated, sophisticated equipment that treats incoming wastewater. In addition, they must fine-tune machines and processes so that the water meets Environmental Protection Agency standards. Our sample wastewater treatment plant operator job description should provide a better idea of what to include when you craft your own.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Job Summary
As a wastewater treatment plant operator, you’ll make a difference as part of our wastewater systems management team for a suburban treatment facility in a large metropolitan area. You’ll enjoy applying your analytical, math and technical skills when you directly oversee the operation, maintenance and repairs of water treatment equipment and processes. Our facility has been recognized by the National Association of Clean Water Agencies for the sixth consecutive year for its environmental stewardship, and 160,000 area residents will be counting on you to ensure treated wastewater adheres to EPA standards while aiding in the safeguarding of local ecological systems. If you want to work for an award-winning, innovative water treatment plant with competitive pay rates and the potential for advancement, this could be the right opportunity for you.
- Disinfect and deodorize water with minimal environmental impact by introducing cleaning and treatment substances into the plant’s systems
- Collect and test samples of water and sewage, employing analysis standards and testing equipment, to ensure treated water meets or exceeds EPA standards
- Adjust equipment controls to purify and clarify water as well as process and dispose of wastes
- Inspect machinery and maintain surveillance on operating conditions, gauges and meters to ensure continued efficient operations as well as detect malfunctions
- Record and track plant and equipment operational data, including meter and gauge readings, and observe a regular schedule for maintenance and upgrades to prevent system breakdowns
- Maintain and repair plant equipment to excellent condition using a variety of both hand tools and power tools
- Communicate with supervisors, coworkers, other employees and upper management regarding operations, plant conditions and other essential information
- Collaborate with upper management to determine the best practices, equipment, upgrades and other operational aspects to contribute to ecologically friendly, cost effective impacts of the facility’s water treatment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Valid state CDL Class B driver’s license
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds
- Must possess a current Wastewater Operator Certification
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience in wastewater treatment
- Evening and weekend availability
- Willingness to work in a wet, dirty environment
- Ability to perform long periods of standing, reaching and bending
Crafting an effective wastewater treatment plant operator job description is crucial, but it’s also prudent to post it on a website where you’ll attract the attention of potential candidates. Besides your own company’s website, be sure to include your social media accounts as well. Moreover, encourage your current employees to spread the word, reaching out to their own networks to procure possible candidates.
As a manager or recruiter, you have a vast array of job boards on the web and third party apps available to help you attract and find top talent. MightyRecruiter is a great resource to begin your search, offering a wide reach and a large potential audience for your new job posting. MightyRecruiter allows you to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards available online.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter