Weaving machine setters set up, tend to or operate machines that draw in, loop, knit or weave textiles. They examine woven cloth to look for weaving defects, cut cloth defects or remove filling as needed. They inspect looms for stoppage issues and thread yarn and fabric through guides and rollers for knitting, weaving and other textile processing.
For the skills segment of your weaving machine setter job description, note that the candidate should have good manual and finger dexterity and attention to detail. Candidates should have a high school diploma and a measure of work experience.
Weaving machine setters work indoors while standing, walking, running and using their hands. They should have an eye for spotting defects in textiles, understand textile equipment and have good problem-solving skills. Go over the weaving machine setter job description below for greater insight on what to highlight in your job posting.
Weaving Machine Setter Job Summary
Looking to start your career in the textiles industry? Do you have a passion for fabric and textiles, love working with your hands, and have a great eye for detail? We have an open position for a weaving machine setter where you will have quality assurance duties on our production lines. We’re looking for someone with a positive, can-do attitude and good interpersonal skills. Help us monitor our processes and make sure our products look great. You’ll receive on-the-job training on using our knitting, sewing and weaving machines and how to keep them working. Become a member of our team and enjoy growth opportunities, excellent benefits and competitive pay rates.
- Set up and operate textile machines that handle textile manufacturing and processing tasks such as knitting, winding, twisting, bonding, weaving or stretching
- Put yarn, thread and fabric through needles, guides and machine rollers of equipment for knitting, weaving and other textile processing
- Get information from co-workers on orders, processes or problems and check textiles for defects and inspect products to make sure specifications are met
- Pull products with weaving defects and remove other product defects as appropriate, such as by cutting cloth or removing any filling
- Start machines, monitor their operations and make any necessary adjustments, such as mounting attachments or tools onto production equipment
- Stop machines when production is completed and conduct maintenance procedures, including lubricating the equipment and replacing worn components
- Inspect machines to fix problems or to determine whether repairs are needed
- Record information about work and jobs completed and relevant machine settings and notify managers and fellow workers of equipment maintenance or repair needs
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Have control precision, finger and manual dexterity and arm-hand steadiness
- Ability to monitor equipment operations and perform quality control tests and inspections
- Critical-thinking and complex problem-solving skills
- Good communication and time-management skills
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous work experience
Want to use this job description?
Weaving Machine Setter Job Responsibilities
The secret to a successful weaving machine setter job description is strong formatting. While the content of your document is important, the format is what controls how accessible the information is. When writing your weaving machine setter job responsibilities, use a bulleted list to organize the expected duties. If it is too long, it will be intimidating, but if it is too short, readers may not fully understand the position. Between six and eight bullet points is a good length to strike a strong balance. Additionally, using a strong action verb as the first word of each bullet point is a good way to focus the responsibilities around action.
Remember that the job responsibilities section should be the longest and meatiest part of your weaving machine setter job description. Use the following example entries to understand the best way to make your job posting as strong as possible:
- Thread yarn and other fabric material through weaving machine components to set them correctly
- Operate weaving machines effectively and carefully to manufacture fabric
- Inspect machinery to identify causes of stoppage, including mechanical malfunction or harness breaks
- Conduct equipment maintenance before and after operation to prevent wear or other damage and to keep machinery safe to operate
Weaving Machine Setter Job Specifications
A common strategy when writing the job qualifications and skills section in your weaving machine setter job description is to separate the section into two bulleted lists. The first should outline the mandatory requirements, while the other explains more specific and lenient preferences. This provides a high level of focus for jobseekers, filtering out those who do not qualify and guiding those who do. Think carefully before writing and speak with the hiring manage or others working in the position already to gain a better understanding of which qualities are deal-breakers.
Always keep in mind the importance of these qualifications. It is easy to consider the weaving machine setter job specifications as an afterthought because the section is so short, but this information is vital to successfully hiring new talent. After all, it can determine which candidates apply. Well-worded qualifications can make the difference between receiving hundreds of unqualified applications and only a few from the best candidates.
Get started on your weaving machine setter job description with these example entries:
- 2 years of experience in textile production required, 4 years preferred
- Previous experience in a position of leadership mandatory
- Strong perception and stamina to vigilantly track machine operation
- Good attention to detail and evaluation skills
- Excellent professional communication abilities