The people who work for your business play a large role in its overall success. For this reason, as you start looking for a new web developer to join your team, you’re going to want to find someone who will fulfill their responsibilities and mesh well with your company. To make this happen, it is absolutely critical that you’re able to write a job description that appeals to the type of person you’re looking for. Here is a web develop job description sample you can look over as you being looking for another person to join your team.
Web Developer Job Summary
You will be responsible for modifying websites, coding them, and designing them according to specifications brought forth by the client. These sites must be user-friendly, visually appealing, and feature clear navigation.
Web Developer Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Apply your knowledge and expertise to many types of technical problems and solve them in a way that does not prohibit you from meeting your goals
- Apply your knowledge of cross-browser compatibility, standard web functions, and UI as you design and develop various websites
- Consistently communicate with your colleagues in related roles to produce a beneficial final product
- Create and maintain software communication that everyone in the company can benefit from
- Cooperate regularly with the web designers on our team to create sites that are visually appealing
- Use best software development practices to write well-designed, efficient code that accomplishes your objectives
- Integrate data from various databases and back-end services
- Refine web development specifications and requirements based on different technical objectives
Web Developer Skills and Qualifications
- Experience delivering and planning out software platforms that can be used across many organizational units and products
- A strong grasp of technological security principles and how they apply to E-commerce applications
- Strong experience working in web programming
- Hands-on experience with network analytics tools and diagnostics
Founded in 2012, North American Tech has developed into one of the top digital development companies in the country. We always aspire to make the world a better place while leading our industry in a positive direction. As part of this, we strive to develop relationships that prove to be advantageous for our organization, our clients, and our employees.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- Although the above is a good overview of what a web developer job description sample should look like, yours should reflect your individual company. As you draft any job description, however, there are a few key practices you need to follow to make sure that your description attracts top talent and you don’t have to weed out those who are unqualified.
- Do make your job description more concise by using bullet points whenever you can. By using bullet points, you make it easier for candidates to peruse your job description and quickly find the information they need.
- Do use specifics. You want to make sure that you’re able to find someone who can actually do the job you’re hiring for, so it is important that you are clear about what you expect.
- Do try to use action words as you write your job description. This will help candidates be able to visualize what their days would look like if they were hired by your organization.
- Do make an effort to highlight what your company is all about. Employees want to feel like they are joining an organization that values them, and illustrating your company culture can help them picture this.
- Do outline a clear procedure for how candidates can move forward applying. If you do not do this, it may take longer than necessary to find the right person for your open position.
- Don’t include information about how much the position will pay if your company prohibits disclosing this information.
- Don’t forget to come up with a clear title for the position you want to fill. This can immediately help candidates know whether or not they qualify for the job.
Although it may take a little bit of time, it is well worth it to draft a job description that will attract the right people to your organization. This can not only take the hassle out of finding a new person to join your team, but also help you find top talent.
Web Developer Job Responsibilities
Attracting the right applicants means having a detailed web developer job description. The responsibilities section should be the meatiest section of your job description and cover a variety of daily activities. It is not necessary to list every little detail, otherwise this section gets too long, but you do want to convey to a jobseeker the most important expectations you have.
This is the longest section of your web developer job description, and you want to make sure every word counts. Get specific with the duties you list to give jobseekers a better picture of what their daily activities should be.
Depending on whether your servers are in-house or kept elsewhere, the web developer job responsibilities you expect could be different from another company’s. Ask yourself: What are the most important activities this new employee will perform?
Look at these job responsibilities for a typical web developer position to get an idea of what you might want to put in this section:
- Develop advanced systems to coordinate multiple social media platforms
- Collect and compile data regarding customer interactions with website
- Collaborate with other developers to keep website up to date
- Consult with social media team to determine how the website can help them reach their goals
Web Developer Job Specifications
As the shortest section of your web developer job description, you might think the skills and qualifications section is also the least important. That simply isn’t true. The specific attributes you expect from an applicant are an important part of narrowing the field and saving you time.
To prevent your inbox from overflowing with unqualified applicants, include your exact minimum standards and no lower. For example, it wastes your time to look though applications with only an associate’s degree if you want someone with a bachelor’s.
One way to make sure you have the right specifications listed is to touch base with a hiring manager or committee. Ask what the most important skills and qualifications for this position are. Keep in touch with the people who know the most about this position so you can have someone look over the entire web developer job description before posting it online.
Here are some web developer job specifications you might want to consider adapting for your own use:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or at least 5 years’ experience with web server maintenance
- Experience writing in Python and Swift
- Good eye for aesthetics and usability
- Able to take feedback and make changes
- Knowledgeable of commenting best practices