Companies that are trying to actively recruit the top qualified candidates to come and join their team need to spend time focusing on writing the best job descriptions. This essential part of the hiring process can help attract better people and give contenders for the job a better idea of what it may be like working in the actual position. Employers who don’t have an extensive human resources department may struggle with the step of writing a great job description. That is why it is important to carefully review the web project manager job description sample below that has been prepared as an example. By seeing a sample of what an effective job posting may look like for a web project manager, you can begin the process of writing your own job description that is specific to your organization.
Web Project Manager Job Description Summary
The web project manager is the leader of a team of individuals with creative and technical skills that creates various projects for the Internet. As project manager, your job is to help manage the entire life of the project, from conception to live online delivery. Each day, you will review the tasks and goals that need to be completed with your team. You will work with the company’s customers in order to deliver the web product that they envision. You will also work with the leaders of the company to try and create new and innovative web solutions for upcoming projects or situations.
Web Project Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Follow the scope of an online project that goes from the proposal stage, to the technical work up, and finally to the delivery of the web product.
- Participate in the initial conception stage along with a client in order to better meet the needs of the customer and to translate those expectations to employees.
- Design solutions for customer problems related to online commerce, corporate identity or other website presence issues.
- Lead the design process of a website by working with a team of graphic designers, writers and web developers.
- Work to find and solve any problems with the function of a web project by implementing testing processes and working with technical staff in order to address any issues.
- Supervise a team of web professionals by developing effective training procedures, appropriate task assignments, positive customer experiences and top quality control processes.
- Aim to meet all project goals within the specified budget of the client and the organization; adjust practices to reflect cost saving measures.
- Generate periodic project status reports to be presented to company stakeholders; detail data, tasks and processes.
- Develop additional skills, certifications and other banks of knowledge in the Internet industry by attending professional conferences, leading seminars with colleagues and keeping all relative qualifications and certificates up to date.
- Take on new and unproven tasks in order to develop new business ideas and opportunities that help lead the company to future success.
Web Project Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 2 years of experience managing projects in a creative setting
- Experience in communicating with clients in various ways
- Knowledge about the development and design of online sites
- Ability to manage many different jobs and meet deadlines consistently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Innovative Web Solutions has been around since the early days of the web, developing Internet sites and online tools for some of the most productive online businesses since before the new millennium. We have a strong record of success that includes award-winning web design, the latest software tools and a focus on delivering exactly what our customers want. As technology has evolved in this industry, we have expanded to offer beyond just an attractive online presence for companies. We work to create online tools to support commerce and building businesses. The most valuable part of our organization is our team of qualified and highly skilled individuals.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The next step is to start writing your own web project manager job description. If you are still stumped and not sure how to begin, follow the helpful advice below:
- Do follow the outline the sample description uses.
- Do take the time to include real responsibilities and tasks.
- Do focus on writing a succinct, yet appealing summary of your company for the profile piece.
- Don’t worry about specific details about salary.
- Don’t avoid being realistic about what applicants should expect.
You should read and review the web project manager job description sample several times. Customize it with your location’s information to match your needs.
Web Project Manager Job Responsibilities
In the increasingly net-centric world, you need a qualified web project manager more than ever, no matter your industry. Finding one with a vague web project manager job description, though, can be as difficult as running a Google search with vague search terms. Improve your talent search and elevate applicant quality by improving your job description and turning it into a powerful screening tool.
You should follow a few rules of thumb when building a web project manager job description. Gone are the days of 10-page job descriptions that read like a legal contract — and are about as exciting. Your job descriptions need to speak the language of jobseekers, using bold, action-driven verbiage and a conversational yet professional tone to open a dialogue. Rather than impersonal and lengthy, create something personal and tightly written using short, impactful bullet points. For the right applicants, these bullets describe what they can see themselves doing on a daily basis and tell them this is the perfect job for them.
Our sample web project manager job responsibilities only include five bullets, but yours should include 8 to 10. Take a look:
- Coordinate projects to design and launch web portals, static sites and interactive domains for client projects
- Guide web development team in designing user flows according to client goals
- Prepare mockups for client approval
- Establish milestones and schedules to meet deliverables on time and within budget
- Monitor team activity for alignment with requirements and timeline
- Troubleshoot problems with development, integration and go-live
Web Project Manager Job Specifications
Just like Google’s search tools, the job specifications section of your web project manager job description is critical to refining and honing your talent search results. This list of core requirements encourages applicants to check themselves against the criteria before applying and can reduce the number of poorly qualified applicants.
Consult your web development team for the best idea of what to look for in a web project manager. Your dev team will work under this manager every day, and while you need to take some contributions with a grain of salt, the majority of your team will let you know the type of person who’ll best be able to lead them through the project lifecycle. This can include everything from prior experience to certifications to experience with certain technologies or development methodologies, but should be a short list of only what’s essential to perform well in the role.
We recommend 5-6 bullets to round out your web project manager job description. Here’s an example of our web project manager job specifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in IT discipline required; Master’s degree desired
- Must possess in-depth knowledge of RUP principles
- At least 10 years of experience developing dynamic websites for clients
- Strong customer-facing abilities as primary liaison and representative
- Ability to lead teams through prioritizing and completing multiple concurrent projects