Writing a clearly defined position description that attracts top candidates is a crucial part of finding and recruiting the best performers. Spending hours reviewing stacks of applications from job seekers who are unqualified is not something hiring managers need to do. A well-written job posting sifts out less qualified job seekers and those not interested in joining your team. When you spend the time to write an excellent positing, you will save hours of time reviewing applications from those that end up applying Below is a Web Systems Administrator job description sample to help you write an accurate job description.
Web Systems Administrator Job Summary
You will configure, install, and maintain web systems for mobile and web-based applications for our providers and clients. As part of our high-performing and skilled team, you will participate in cutting-edge plans to empower employees and build on success while transforming the client relationship. In this role, you will ensure the reliability, security, integrity, and performance of all systems components, such as applications and database and web servers while operating as a part of a supportive and accomplished application development team. Experience genuine work-life balance and the chance to work on innovative and exciting projects with access to phenomenal training opportunities. Be a part of a team where staff engagement is at an all-time record.
Web Systems Administrator Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Coordinate daily duties with the systems administrator team
- Review innovative technologies for existing and future projects
- Operate on security auditing servers
- Support development teams to tune web application stacks
- Configure and maintain web analytics systems
- Assist other teams as needed
- Help clients with any connectivity issues
- Be on call one week out of four for any emergencies
- Be available for weekly maintenance from 12 a.m. to 4 a.m.
Web Systems Administrator Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Minimum three years of experience as a Linux Systems Administrator
- Planning and tuning web applications
- Expertise with Linux, Apache, PHP, and Oracle
- Load balancing
- Reverse proxy configurations
- Nginx a ++
- Knowledge of security for applications, networking, and operating systems
- Java web applications
- Deployment using automation knowledge
- Monitoring and virtualization experience
- Data center deployment expertise
- Ethernet networking
- Oracle, PostgreSQL, and related SQL systems
At Silverton Systems, we provide a unique combination of technical and business management services, each targeting the enhancement of communications to improve efficiency. Our range of capabilities is diverse but we remain centered on offering optimal solutions. We better enable the senior management of a military command or federal agency to communicate their vision and mission to increase the performance metrics of a web portal. Our information technology specialists offer software services and solutions including database migration and development, website management and design, Internet connectivity solutions, and web enabling. We take pride in recruiting self-motivated, creative individuals who possess the skills and knowledge requisite to enhance our clients’ needs beyond current technology boundaries.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- While the above is a standout Web Systems Administrator job description sample, you may find situations when you can’t locate a sample for help. Below are a few basic best practices and practical do’s and don’ts for those instances to ensure that you write an accurate posting and save yourself the hassles of weeding through resumes from unqualified applicants.
- Do write the job description using informal, friendly language so your content is more attractive to potential candidates.
- Don’t imply favoritism for a particular race, gender, or age.
- Do highlight your corporate culture and missing to provide more reasons for potential candidates to submit their resumes.
- Do list the major and precise responsibilities and duties of the position.
- Don’t include anything in the position description subject to interpretation of a promise of employment or an offer.
- Do clearly list job qualifications and experience.
- Do include wording exhibiting your organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Do list salary ranges and benefits information unless it against company policy.
- Don’t overstate the skills or requirement essential to growth in the job.
The Web Systems Administrator job description sample above is a great example of a job posting that can locate top talent and encourage them to submit an application for the job. Investing the time to write a clearly defined job description will save time later when you easily recruit the best candidates for the job.
Want to use this job description?
Web Systems Administrator Job Responsibilities
What you include in the web systems administrator job responsibilities section should mimic what you want to see in a jobseeker’s resume. These daily or weekly activities are what you expect applicants to already be familiar with so they can do a good job in this position.
This is the longest part of your web systems administrator job description and should hit on all the most important aspects of this job. However, that doesn’t mean you need to write an entire book. Try to limit yourself to between six and eight bullet points describing common and important activities.
Before finally submitting this job description, make sure you’ve hit some of the best practice pointers already discussed. This includes using action verbs, displaying your company’s personality and being as specific as possible. Try to avoid words like “often” or “sometimes.”
To get some inspiration for the responsibilities section of your web systems administrator job description, look at this list:
- Create and maintain backup systems robust enough to withstand inclement weather and power surges
- Set up systems to manually and automatically update content to website as needed
- Investigate and resolve slow loading times and related issues
- Develop performance standards, measurement protocols and proposed resolutions
Web Systems Administrator Job Specifications
The qualifications and skills section of your web systems administrator job description is an important way to weed out unqualified applicants and save you time. By listing exactly what you expect of a jobseeker, you can avoid spending time looking over unqualified applicants.
The first thing you will want to do is discuss the kinds of skills and qualifications needed for this position with a hiring manager, committee or another administrator. This gives you somewhere to start when writing the web systems administrator job specifications. Stay in contact with this person or team to find out if the final job description needs anything removed or added.
To keep this section from looking too long, see if you can divide it into two sections, required and preferred. This lets jobseekers scan through the most important job specifications first before seeing if they have any other qualifications.
Here are some common web systems administrator job description items. Use this list to inspire your own job description.
- Knowledgeable of Linux and Microsoft server architecture
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science and at least 4 years’ experience in computing
- Critical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills
- Skilled time manager able to coordinate activities across multiple teams