You can simplify the writing process for your wholesale buyer job description if you break down the necessary job components. Wholesale buyers work with suppliers to order materials or products for the consumer market. They evaluate product quality and negotiate prices to make sure their company gets a good deal on a large order.
It’s common for companies to require an undergraduate degree to be hired in this position. It’s best to look for someone with a degree in a business or related field. Wholesale buyers can also prove their qualifications by becoming a certified professional, which is another item to include in a job posting.
Successful wholesale buyers are excellent negotiators, and they also have strong math skills when calculating pricing. They also need to be equipped with top analytical skills and strong decision-making abilities. For more advice, consult the wholesale buyer job description template below.
Wholesale Buyer Job Summary
We are looking for a dynamic and skilled individual to join our consumer purchasing department as a wholesale buyer. The ideal candidate has a lifelong love of fashion and is always ahead of the latest trends. If you get excited about what new looks will be unveiled on the runway each season, or you can predict which fashion statements will be popular with the general public next year, this may be the right place for you. In this role, you will travel to vendor locations around the world and make choices about our retail product offerings. You will also make deals with our suppliers in regard to pricing and work to keep the cost to our consumers reasonable.
- Procure wholesale products and supplies through vendors in various locations for the company’s consumer product retail line
- Discuss pricing with the vendor and reach an agreement that includes discounts for volume orders, shipping incentives and other reasonable costs within the company’s budget
- Choose products to offer that meet the needs of the company’s customers by carefully reviewing potential items through vendor showrooms or catalogues
- Collaborate with management to determine consumer pricing strategies and promotions with markdowns and clearance items
- Partner with the marketing department to get more information about customer attitudes and wants for future product lines
- Assess the condition of merchandise orders upon shipment arrival to see if the quality standard is acceptable and if it meets the guidelines decided upon for the product
- Meet with vendors and discuss potential product needs or custom merchandise ideas to help differentiate the brand among consumers
- Present new merchandise lines to other staff members during sales meetings and demonstrate the features and benefits of each product
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, marketing or a related field
- Two or more years of experience in purchasing
- Ability to negotiate pricing and shipping details with vendors
- Strong communication skills
- Background in the women’s fashion industry
- Certified retail buyer through the purchasing professional association
Once you’ve finished writing your wholesale buyer job description, you should develop strategies to get your posting in front of the right people. Potential wholesale buyer candidates who would be interested in the job need to be drawn to your company.
In most job search scenarios, wholesale buyers use the internet or executive recruiters to find an appropriate position in the industry. Online job boards are some of the most popular sources for jobseekers looking for their next professional opportunity. You can cut down on the time required to publish your job posting by using helpful internet tools to broadcast your job opening across many different job boards on the internet. Job applicants will access your free job postings with online tool MightyRecruiter’s help, giving you more potential qualified people to consider.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter