If you are a business owner or entrepreneur and have just created a great new, marketable invention, then the first thing you should do is get a patent for it. The law surrounding patents can be difficult to navigate because you need to ensure that your invention is different from anything else that is currently out there. A lot of forms need to be filled out, and it can take a while for your patent application to finally be accepted. For this reason, many individuals seek the help of a patent attorney to assist them throughout the patent application process.
What to Look for in a Patent Attorney
There are bound to be quite a few patent attorneys near your area, and you should take the time to schedule consultations with numerous ones in order to find the best attorney for your specific needs. That involves asking questions and looking into the person’s background to see if he or she would be a good fit. Here are some qualities you should pay close attention to.
- Experience: If an attorney has been in the business for quite a while, then you know he or she has drafted countless applications throughout the years. Looking into an attorney’s experience is a good way to get a sense of how strong your future patent will be.
- Fees: Before hiring anyone, you should make sure you get a quote. While the final amount may vary, an attorney should be able to provide you with a detailed quote that will give you a sense of how much you will end up paying throughout the application process. The exact amount will vary depending on what precisely you are trying to patent. More complicated inventions will entail higher legal costs than fairly simple devices. You can also seek information about how frequently you will get billed and if the attorney charges by the hour.
- Background: Patent attorneys should have some kind of background in science or engineering. You will want to hire someone who is familiar with the basic concepts behind your invention. For example, if you have created new computer software, then you would not want to hire someone who has a background in chemistry because that would not really come into play.
- Location: You should try to find a patent attorney who is conveniently located. You may need to go to the attorney’s office frequently, at least at first, and you should be comfortable with the commute. If you are comfortable going to the next city over in order to work with your favorite attorney, then that is perfectly fine.
- Your Feelings: Ultimately, getting a patent could take a year or much longer. You will be working with this attorney for a while, so you want to work with someone you feel comfortable with. If an attorney rubs you the wrong way, then the next couple of years might be a hassle. Go with someone you like but who will also provide you with the results you need.
How to Find a Patent Attorney Near You
A quick online search should give you a decent list of any patent attorneys that have their offices near your business. If you live in a major metropolitan area, then it should not be too difficult to find an attorney’s offices. For business owners that live in smaller cities, you may need to commute in order to get the best patent attorney for your needs. The important thing is to meet with several attorneys so that you have some options. While physical distance is a factor that should be considered, an experienced attorney with the background you need but happens to live in another city might be the best option.
While you can definitely fill out a patent application on your own, it is sometimes wiser to hire an attorney for these matters. Weigh all your options so that you can arrive at the best conclusion for what you need.
The content on our website is only meant to provide general information and is not legal advice. We make our best efforts to make sure the information is accurate, but we cannot guarantee it. Do not rely on the content as legal advice. For assistance with legal problems or for a legal inquiry please contact you attorney.