Food service managers play an integral role to ensure that the food served to customers is appetizing, cooked properly and delivered on time. Their primary responsibility is to oversee employees to verify that all policies and procedures are being followed, and to encourage professional and personable behavior. Other responsibilities include training employees, ordering supplies, inspecting work areas and resolving complaints.
When considering what skills to include in your food service manager job description, highlight leadership and customer service. Leading a team of employees requires a manager to set an example of quality customer service. Keen organizational and business skills are also critical.
Conflict management is required for mediating situations where the customer is unhappy. Physical strength is recommended as food service personnel spend many hours on their feet. This food service manager job description illustrates how to articulate these types of skills in your own document.
Food Service Manager Job Summary
As a food service manager, you have the valued responsibility of leading employees to serve the best food and provide an outstanding dining experience. If you are someone who appreciates leading by example, team work and motivating other people, then this could be the job for you. In addition to working with a variety of customers and team members, you can utilize your strengths in organization, attention to detail and conflict management. You have the opportunity to actively contribute to creating a memorable dining experience for customers by teaching employees to suggest menu items, vigilantly serve their guests and maintain a dining area that is clean, orderly and comfortable. This role is perfect for someone who enjoys working with people and managing a host of responsibilities with ease and enthusiasm.
- Manage a team of 12 employees and verify that each is compliant with federally regulated policies regarding food handling and safety
- Encourage employees to provide outstanding customer service by enthusiastically welcoming diners, suggesting complementary menu items, regularly checking on guests and serving the highest quality food
- Oversee the preparation, presentation and delivery of food to guarantee that guests receive meals that are proportionate, consistent, cooked properly and aesthetically stunning
- Mediate conflict and resolve customer complaints related to food quality, service rendered or wait times
- Inspect kitchen areas, work stations and dining areas to verify that all are clean, safe and in working order
- Create employee schedules and find viable solutions when an employee is unable to make a shift
- Review restaurant ratings, employee conduct and guest feedback to determine areas where things can improve, and come up with innovative solutions to problems
- Order restaurant supplies, maintain a reasonable inventory and monitor finances to determine compliance with assigned budgets
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Five years of experience working in customer service
- Enthusiasm, communication skills and motivated team player
- Familiarity with scheduling software
- Understanding of budgeting
No matter how much time you put into writing and editing your food service manager job description, that is only one part of the process of finding the most eligible candidates. Your next focus should be on finding the right channels to share your description with interested job seekers who can easily access your information and respond to your request.
Options such as a clever blurb on your website, handing out flyers on a university campus and advertising via social media are all valuable methods. Still, utilizing online job boards is an effective way to immediately gain visibility by quickly sharing a posting with hundreds of users. To get started, post jobs for free on MightyRecruiter and make sure your request gets in front of the right person.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!