A retail sales associate is responsible for selling merchandise and assisting customers in finding the right product. Day-to-day duties include customer service tasks such as welcoming shoppers, offering assistance, making recommendations, answering questions and explaining the features of products. Other common duties include operating cash registers, bagging products, stocking shelves, marking price tags and preparing displays.
Since a high degree of interaction with customers is required, your retail sales associate job description should mention a strong focus on interpersonal skills. Friendliness and an outgoing personality are big bonuses.
A dedication to customer service and an ability to persuasively explain products are also good qualities to have, as well as the ability to handle money and operate a cash register. Consult the retail sales associate job description below to get an idea of what to include in your own posting.
Retail Sales Associate Job Summary
Our small neighborhood bookstore is searching for an energetic and customer service-oriented retail sales associate to join our team. With us, you’ll share with customers your passion for and knowledge of books to find the perfect read while creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere where readers can curl up and relax. You will also have the chance to design displays, select books to be featured on our recommended reading lists and help create our seasonal promotions, all while enjoying the benefits of working on a small, cooperative and close-knit team. This is a great opportunity for friendly book lovers to build their interpersonal skills while spreading their love of reading to our diverse customer base.
- Greet guests as they enter the shop, ask whether they would like assistance with anything and provide help if needed in a friendly, hospitable and efficient manner
- Remain knowledgeable about and answer questions related to merchandise, sales, promotions and store policy
- Provide recommendations based on customer’s stated preferences, needs and desires
- Create a warm and cozy atmosphere for our guests in accordance with the vision of the store by acting in a welcoming and approachable manner during customer interactions
- Operate a cash register and perform related tasks, including cash handling, credit card processing and opening and closing of the register when on the first or last shift of the day
- Straighten, arrange, stock and dust off merchandise, maintain shelving areas as directed by management and participate in the designing of displays in windows and on tables
- Locate merchandise for customers, placing special orders to find desired items if necessary
- Handle refunds, returns and exchanges with a focus on timeliness and customer service
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Friendly, outgoing demeanor with a strong commitment to customer service
- Ability to express oneself clearly and persuasively when making sales
- Calm, professional demeanor even when confronted by discourteous customers
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift up to 20 pounds
- Previous experience operating a cash register
- Demonstrated interest in literature is a plus
Writing an appealing retail sales associate job description is an important first step for attracting the talent you want on your team. The next order of business is getting the job posting out where the right candidates will see it. There are many options available to you in your search for candidates. Using social media is an effective way to reach lots of people at once. Make sure to post the position on your company’s website if it has one. This ensures that you’ll reach jobseekers who are interesting in your specific business.
Whatever other strategies you choose to use, you’ll want to post on job boards. This is one of the most effective ways to reach top candidates, and while it can be a time-consuming process, it doesn’t have to be. Use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!